Freitag, 11. September 2015

50's Style Petticoat

Back when I was planning my 50's style dress I knew I also had to have a petticoat to get the look right. I got some tulle out of my mother's stash (in there because we had used it as part of a salt & pepper costume for the both of us some years ago), around 2m x 1,60m. I didn't use any specific tutorial because petticoats are pretty straightforward, but cut the tulle into nine 160cm long strips of around 20cm width and sewed them into tubes (one strip, two strips, and four strips). I gathered these tubes by sewing some yarn to the top edge via zig-zag stitch and tried to sew the gathered biggest tube to the ungathered middle tube - and that's where I ran into trouble. See, getting tulle that has been gathered to half its original lenght to cooperate with a sewing machine can be rather frustrasting - and so into the box the whole thing went. Until last weekend, when I knew I needed a petticoat for my now finished dress!
If you read my previous post, you know that I was already well-adjusted to hand-sewing by then (I watched the documentary "Canada - A People's History" troughout sewing on the dress and petticoat and am currently at episode 13 of 17, with each episode being just short of two hours), plus I really wasn't prepared to give the tulle another try on the machine, so I made myself comfortable on my floor with a blunt needle:
Okay, not watching any movies here, but I got through 3 albums of The Tallest Man On Earth before the biggest tube was connected to the middle!
I useds backstitches to sew all tubes together, using a blunt needle when it was just tulle (why risk stabbing yourself when the fabric you're working with is already full of holes?) and a pointy one to connect the tulle to the linen/cotton top part.
That top part was actually a petticoat I'd made for a halloween costume years ago and that has been sitting in my closet ever since, only once in a blue moon being used underneath a pretty see-through white rtw skirt. It's basically a 1m tube of fabric with two ruffles, but had the perfect length and width (plus was already assembled... I'm lazy, did I already tell you that?), so I attached the tulle right above the lower ruffle - I kinda like the effect it gives.
Here you can see all the layers. Of course the effect on the overall look is greater when I'm actually wearing it, because then it can stand out against my legs instead of a thin wooden collumn... ^^
After wearing it, though, I realized I'd have to make another cotton petticoat to wear underneath that one, because gathered tulle is just - so - itchy! I already have some suitable fabric for that, but haven't started cutting yet. Ah well, if I procrastinate for too long, I'm gonna have to survive an itchy evening, because the next Rockabilly concert is in October! Yay :)



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen