Sonntag, 1. Dezember 2013

Thinking things through

...is not my forte, appearantly. Alternate title: Hey look, my quilt's got a little window!!
I did not see this coming. Probably because I had that part covered in my construction sketch. So I did just that, cut and ironed the green square and sewed it on top. Phew, there you go:
Before that, I had actually assembled all the patchwork pieces, but since that was just a case of pinning right sides together and sewing straight lines, I didn't take any pictures.
Simultaneously with the green square I cut two green circles - cut a green square, fold and iron it in half, fold and iron that in half and draw on a quarter circle with the center where all the folds meet. While I folded under the edges of the square twice, I tried two different things with the circles: for the smaller one, I folded under the edges twice, which was really a pain to iron/pin and looked all wonky while not attached yet. So for the bigger circle, I just ironed the edges under once, then pinned and sewed both circles to the base to see if they looked different, and if yes, which one looked better. I couldn't tell any differences, can you?

If you are confused now, congratulations on your exceptional visual memory! For everyone else, here's the design sketch for comparison:
Yeah. I rushed the sewing (and pinning etc) for the last circle, as my mother wanted me to clear the table off my sewing things and set it for dinner, so I somehow placed it into the completely wrong corner. Ugh. Thinking things through really doesn't seem to be my forte today. And while I'm not a perfectionist, I really liked my original design, so I put in a good movie, took out my seam-ripper and took the damn thing off. Pinned it in its correct place, took out a needle and some green thread and handsewed it back on (really too much effort to take out and set up the sewing machine again for one small circle...).
Oh, and speaking of realizing stupid, but fixable mistakes: When sewing on the border strips (labeled A & B in my sketch) I realized they were each missing 30cm. I have no idea where they went or rather what I was thinking when I cut (well, ripped) them out, but as most of these borders will be folded over to the backside, I don't sweat it. Because, really: I am done with the top part! Which means no more sewing machine for this project, which in turn means I can take it to my appartment (along with the tablecloth that will serve as backing) where the batting has been lying idly these two months, I think, and begin with the quilting. Yay! :)


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen