Donnerstag, 8. August 2013

Decisions, decisions...

I have two projects I'd really like to tell you about, but only time for one short post. Hm...
First of all sorry for not writing for so long, I had some exams to write and then my laptop broke down just in time for my arrival home, plus I just started an internship which takes up a lot of my time, so I didn't really get any sewing done despite being in close proximity to a real sewing machine for about a week. Until today, when I decided to finally get some work done on my corset.
I found a really neat technique for constructing corsets online (I'll post my sources as soon as I have time to find them), it goes like this:

Starting with pieces one and two, (shown are three and four)
sandwich fabric and lining of the first piece between the
fabric and lining of the second piece, respective right sides
together
A peek at piece three ;)
Then just sew a seam along the side, press, open, press both sides flat, repeat. It's a quick and easy way to construct corsets and you don't even have to worry about finishing any raw edges :)
Bonus: you can very easily add boning channels, I did one for every seam, we'll see how that works out.
Stitching a boning channel, finished one on the right
As I said, I'm using zip-ties for boning, feels pretty good so far, we'll see how they look and feel when wearing the corset.
Preparing the boning: I clipped of the closures and smoothed
the clipped ends with some sandpaper
I put another boning channel into the back edges and marked where I wanted my eyelets to go.
Looks pretty good so far, what do you think?
I did the eyelets by hand since I don't have any grommets lying around and it is much quicker this way than going to a store, buying some and then spending the evening in the basement hammering them in. I got one row done while watching TV with my mum tonight, and I'm sure I'll have the other row finished soon enough.
I still need some hooks and eyes for closure, though (I know, I'm cheating again) so I'll have to go to a fabric store soon in any case.
This weekend I'll be at my grandparents, so no sewing and no blogging, although I'll probably get some work done on my stole (almost done now!) and my minion, I'll keep you updated on those projects. When I come back, I'll post a tutorial on how to fix ripped jeans - the other thing I finally got done tonight ;)
Have a nice and productive weekend, everyone, I'll see you soon!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen