Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2013

My mask is getting braces

My camera doesn't like taking selfies, so sorry for the bad quality, I had to use my phone
I recently made a tatted mask. Tatting is a wonderful way to create lace, or, as in this case, lacey things. I made this mask following Totus Mel's Tutorial for her flower pendant and joining the flowers together at the corners, creating the mask shape as I went along, by holding the thing to my face every once in a while. It's made up of 12 joined flowers.
The only problem: it was too soft to properly stay on my face. So I decided to give my mask something I have had to wear for years: braces. First, I tried to slide some crafting wire into the little knots - painfully ineffective, I had made them too tight and the wire was too bendy to go through. So, I took up my needle and some thin, black thread (closest in colour to the grey of the mask) and sewed the wire onto the backside. It took time. A lot of time.
My camera also doesn't seem to like close-ups, so sorry for the blurriness
I din't want to underwire the whole thing if I didn't have to, so I started with the top edge and the central flower and tried it on. It fit as well as I could wish, so I sewed on two ribbons to tie it on and called it a day.
Can you see the brass wire that runs along the top ege and the central flower?
I made the ribbons quite short since I was sure I wouldn't want to tie any knots with them, for the pictures I joined them with a pin. I am thinking of putting in a snap fastener. What do you think?

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen